Cityhood of Cabuyao

On @ requested the Sangguniang Bayan for a Municipal Resolution (MR) on Cabuyao Cityhood. Municipal Resolution 018-2010 was issued last February 26, 2010. It was then submitted to the Office of Hon. Justin Marc SB. Chipeco on August 4, 2010. After three months, requisites were sent to Hon. George Arnaiz (Chairman Committee on Local Government). Cong. Chipeco then endorsed the Housebill No. 3811, also known as the conversion of Cabuyao into a City to the House of Representatives last December 6, 2010. House Bill 3811 was filed at the Congress last February 22, 2011 and was later substituted by House Bill 4259.

The Senate received the bill last March 29, 2011 and a Joint Committee Meeting/Hearing was conducted a few months after. On December 6, 2011 Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos delivered his Sponsorship Speech (co-sponsored by Sen. Teofisto “Tg” Guingona III). The second reading had been approved with amendments on December 14, 2011 while the third reading was approved last January 16, 2012 with the following votes: In Favor: 17 Against: 0 Abstain: 0. Two days after, it was sent back to the House of Representatives and the congress agreed to the Senate Amendments last February 1, 2012.

On May 16, 2012, the President of the Republic of the Philippines, His Excellency Benigno Simeon Aquino III approved House Bill No. 4259 or the Cabuyao City Charter and signed into law by virtue of Republic Act No. 10163. On August 4, 2012, a plebiscite was held to ratify the conversion of the town into a city. A total of 24,670 Cabuyeños took part on the historical event, 22,132 voters or 89.71% of the total number of voters voted “Yes” while the remaining 2,538 or only 10.29% voted “No”. The City of Cabuyao is the 142nd city in the Philippines and 5th component city in Laguna besides San Pablo City, Calamba City, Santa Rosa City and Biñan City.

Cityhood of Cabuyao